Welcome to the Nuclear Reactor Analysis and Methods (NuRAM) website!
We are adding content as time permits, but we hope this page will be useful. NuRAM is lead by Prof. Thomas Downar and Prof. Brendan Kochunas.
There are two main areas of research for the NuRAM group. First, Prof. Downar, with several students, have developed and maintained the PARCS Nodal Simulator since 1996. PARCS is the primary neutronics auditing tool use by the US Nuclear Regulator Commission for reactor licensing and evaluation. More information can be found on the PARCS page. The second area of research is centered around MPACT. MPACT is an advanced, full core, 3D, transport solver. Originally developed by Prof. Kochunas for PWR analysis. MPACT is developed by several students and staff between University of Michigan and Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
We look forward to being able to see you at upcoming meetings!!
In the meantime, checkout some of our latest articles!
- Price, D., Folk, T., Duschenes, M., Garikipati, K., Kochunas, B., (2021). Methodology for Sensitivity Analysis of Homogenized Cross-Sections to Instantaneous and Historical Lattice Conditions with Application to AP1000 ® PWR Lattice. Energies, 14(12), 3378. https://doi.org/10.3390/en14123378
- Shen, Q., Kochunas, B., Xu, Y., Choi, S., Downar, T., (2021). Transient Multilevel Scheme with One-Group CMFD Acceleration. Nuclear Science and Engineering, 195(7), 741–765. https://doi.org/10.1080/00295639.2020.1866388
- Morató, S., Kochunas, B., Miró, R., Verdú, G., Larsen, E.W., Downar, T., (2021). Lambda modes comparison for different approximations of the neutron transport equation: Diffusion, SN and SP3. Annals of Nuclear Energy 154, 108074. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2020.108074
- Liu, Y., Salko, R., Kim, K.S., Wang, X., Kabelitz, M., Choi, S., Kochunas, B., Collins, B., Martin, W., (2021). Improved MPACT energy deposition and explicit heat generation coupling with CTF. Annals of Nuclear Energy 152, 107999. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2020.107999
- Jarrett, M.G., Kochunas, B.M., Larsen, E.W., Downar, T.J., (2020). SP3 Limit of the 2D/1D Transport Equations with Varying Degrees of Angular Coupling. Journal of Computational and Theoretical Transport, 49(6), 303–330. https://doi.org/10.1080/23324309.2020.1819330
- Liu, Y., Vaughn, K., Kochunas, B., Downar, T., (2020). Validation of Pin-Resolved Reaction Rates, Kinetics Parameters, and Linear Source MOC in MPACT. Nuclear Science and Engineering, 195(1), 50–68. https://doi.org/10.1080/00295639.2020.1780853
and be sure to checkout Qicang’s dissertation: http://dx.doi.org/10.7302/1477
or watch the virtual tour of Prof. Kochunas’s Lab and the Nuclear Plant Simulator Laboratory:
Please come visit again for additional content.
- Link to Qicang Shen’s dissertation!
- Updated journal articles
- The Virtual Tour!
Changes coming soon…
- Technical Reports
- More details on projects…
- More details on courses…
- More details on people